Saturday, October 31, 2009

Second day of trip to Sleepy Hollow

Today (Friday, Oct. 30) I actually got to Sleepy Hollow after only one stop, and unlike yesterday this one was on my way, kinda, and I didnt get lost because this town is actually on the GPS.  I stopped in Jim Thorpe, PA to see the grave site and memorial to Native American Athlete Jim Thorpe.  The town purchased his remains from his widow with the intentions of buidling a memorial and renaming the town after him.  Before this he had nothing to do with said town.  They were hoping it would bring tourism and the football hall of fame there, the latter did not happen.


After the short stop in Jim Thorpe, I continued on to Sleepy Hollow, it was only about a 2 and a half hour drive from Jim Thorpe.  I got stuck on the Tappan Zee Bridge crossing the Hudson River because there was only 2 of the 4 lanes opening going both ways, so I'm sure I will get stuck heading back out of town also.  When I got into town I made a short stop at the Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and the Old Dutch Church.




From there I went on to the Gate of Heaven Cemetery, which is just a short 5 to 10 minute drive depending on if you know where you are going or not.  My main reason for going to this cemetery was to see the grave site of baseball great Babe Ruth.  While there I also saw the grave sites of former Yankee Manager Billy Martin and former NY football Giants owner Wellington Mara.  This cemetary was huge and finding the grave sites was kinda hard since they had no cemetety maps to give at the office.



Halloween Day my plan is to visit yet another cemetery, Kenisco Cemetery to see the grave sites of Lou Gehrig and Ayn Rand.  Then it is off to Sleepy Hollow Cemetery to have a walk through during the day to get some good pictures, then it is a lanterned tour through the Cemetery on Halloween Night.  I cant wait for the tour, I hope it is as good as it is made out to be.




No comments: