Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Three Years After The Fact

Three years ago at about this time I woke up one morning to find my fiance and dog gone.  I had been out of town for two days getting fitted for a tux for my cousins upcoming wedding.  My fiance and I had been together for going on 5 years at this point and all I got from her was this letter:

Dear Ricky,
  I hate to start it this way, but things really aren't working out between us.  I've been trying desparatly to gather the courage to say all of this face to ace but I am a complete coward and I'm afraid I'll say it all wrong.  I'm really sorry to leave like this but it is something I really have to do.
  I don't know where we went wrong, it's almost like we simply co-exist.  We hardly speak to each other anymore and when we're together we are like acquaintances, not a happily engage couple.
  I am also very unhappy with my life right now.  I feel like I'm dragging this relationship down, like I'm holding you back from being truly happy.  I think you've been feeling the same way, if not obviously then deep down inside.  Honestly, if we hadn't been living together, I don't think we would have stayed together this long.
  There are many other things that have affected my decision, but what I've said here is really the main part behind my reasoning.  This has been a very difficult decision for me and I believe it is the best one.  I really needd to be on my own right now and figure my life out.  I really do love you just not the way you and I both need.  You need someone who can appreciate what a truly sweet and loving man you are; I cant get past my own issues to do that.
  I am leaving Morgantown and moving closer to home.  The water, electric and gas will be shut off on May 24 unless you switch them to your name before then, I know you'll probably hate me after you read this but please give my mom's "china" back to her; it's in your parents' basement.
  I 'm sorry for everything.
                                -Erin

That was all I got after 5 years together.  That letter and the engagement ring were in an envelope taped to the TV when I woke up that morning.  Because of this letter and the break-up (if you can call it that) I made some great new friends who 2 days after this letter all came over to my place for a little get together to cheer me up, and sadly as I type this I just realized that I am wearing the same shirt I had on that night.  It is a shirt that Finish Line employees wore at the time from Brooks that says, Get mo from Life.
All of this has just recently came up because said former fiance has started coming into my place of business a few times a week now.  And on top of this I decided to switch the messenger bag that I carry last week and when I cleaned out the one I wanted to switch to I found this letter in it.  So the bag I switched to I haven't used in almost 3 years.

Here is one picture of the get together at my place to cheer me up by my friends.

In picture Megan, Trey, Tit and Ben.

No comments: